Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Trying to get out of France

Well Kirby and I began our adventures with a lurch...but we can see the humor of it now. We started off our journey down the metro stairs with my huge bag and Kirby's smaller but not light bag. No worries though, a cute French guy helped me carry mine down and then smiled good naturedly at us as he walked away. That bodes well does it not? We thought so...We got down to the RER-which is the fast metro to the train station. Unfortunately, the French soccer team was on their way home and closed down all the really nice trains. So we had to dash to the "Magenta 4". So did everyone else apparently. It was so crowded that I had absolutely no control over where I went or where my body went....or my bag for that matter. A tall and skinny black girl pushed my back so she could get through and my lack of control just sent me and my bag over forward. Luckily it was so crowded an old man in front of me pushed me back! So very very crowded...kirbs got pick-pocketed at some point in this mess. We didn't figure that out till the train station when she was looking for her ticket to get out. Then she got stuck in the exit gate with her arm and bag at the wrong end. A nice old man helped us out. We then waited in a very long line to get our ticket validated...then ran for our train since we only had ten minutes. A nice attendant informed us that we were at the wrong station. Really? the wrong station? yesterday I asked that specific question since as many of you know I have a history of arriving at the wrong place or at least thinking it's somewhere else. Anyways we had to sprint 3 and a half blocks to Gare L'est. We didn't really know where we were going so I had to ask several people and all of them laughed...But I guess two girls with bright red bags one huge and the other medium(the bags I mean) sprinting through traffic is probably a comical sight. We made it to the station...but that timely train had left at 20.20 exactly. It was 20.22. We then waited in an incredibly long line to figure out the next step where we were told: "I'm sorry you came to France", "welcome to France", and "in France this happens all the time." Oh-nice to know. We got to the front desk and were told our morning schedule. and he did say that they did indeed switch the train station. That's swell. So we got back on the metro and came home. We didn't have a key at that point and the other girls were out-without a phone-so we got gelato. And canceled Kirby's cards. So we are going to Munich in the morning. At least that's the plan. We've discovered that we can indeed take our bags anyhwere...they're just heavy. French people will steal your stuff if it's crowded. The train system isn't that great, but it's easier than the airport...unless they switch your station. We're very excited to be able to see the country as we go through it and we are going to be in Munich in time to wander around for several hours before dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment